Mark Geragos Files Lawsuit Against Ja Rule and Billy McFarland for Fyre Festival Debacle
Ja Rule can’t seem to get it right since the early 2000s, and the rapper is now being sued by celebrity attorney Mark Geragos along with partner Billy McFarland for the disaster that was Fyre Festival.
The “luxury” event was reportedly a fiasco, and Geragos is seeking $100 million in damages according to The Guardian.
The festival took place in the Bahamas last week and the Internet was soon flooded with traffic on just how disorganized it was. Personal testimonies depicted crowded airports, a lack of running water and catering that only consisted of bread, cheese and salad. Since tickets for Fyre Festival ran between $1,000 to $12,000, those who attended were understandably upset. Acts booked to play at the festival included Major Lazer, Disclosure, and Skepta.
Geragos suit lists “lying” and “fraud” against the rapper and McFarland and the two have yet to respond.
NME reports a statement released by the festival’s organizers April 28 said, “After assessing the situation this morning and looking at the best options for our guests, we cannot move forward as we hoped we could. The festival is being postponed until we can further assess if and when we are able to create a high-quality experience we envisioned.”
Speaking with Rolling Stone, McFarland said of the debacle, “We thought we were making time frames that were correct. We were a little naive in thinking for the first time we could do this ourselves. Next year, we will definitely start earlier. The reality is, we weren’t experienced enough to keep up. We’re going to take every measure to make this right for everybody now, and make this right for everybody next year, on a large scale.”
Ja Rule also posted his own apology on Twitter in response to the negative feedback.