November 21, 2017 / 10:57 AM

Stay Connected

The Puppy Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Saved From Drowning is Dead After Eating Toxic Mushroom

by Morgan Murrell   Oct 1, 2015 08:30 AM EDT

Close
Video game news round-up: Doomfist release, Telltale Games and a legendary Pokemon Go announcement

This has been an extremely sad and eye-opening month for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. After a traumatic Labor Day weekend experience resulted in him saving his puppy, Brutus, from drowning, more bad news for the young French Bulldog followed. On Tuesday (Sept. 29), Johnson took to his personal Instagram account to reveal baby Brutus died after eating a toxic mushroom.

The San Andreas star recently adopted two adorable French Bulldog puppies named Brutus and Hobbs. Unfortunately, one puppy hasn't had the best luck. While frolicking through his new backyard, baby Brutus stumbled upon an extremely toxic mushroom. In usual dog fashion, Brutus ate his new findings without realizing the danger he was putting himself in.

Johnson shared an emotional post about the decision he and girlfriend, Lauren Hashian, had to make. He's seen coddling his sick puppy in what appears to be an animal hospital.

"Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed," Johnson wrote in an Instagram post. "At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and [my girlfriend Lauren Hashian] had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace."

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on Sep 29, 2015 at 12:04pm PDT

According to the former wrestler's Instagram, the incident happened shortly after Johnson saved him from drowning in their family pool. Hobbs and Brutus sprinted to the huge pool with the inherent thought that their doggy paddling skills would immediately kick in. Unlike his buddy Hobbs, Brutus began to sink instead of swim, which caused an adrenaline rush to take over Johnson.

The 43-year-old actor jumped in the pool fully clothed to save his dog's life. He also shared this experience to his Instagram, displaying a picture of him soaking wet, holding both puppies -- one in each hand.

“As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return,” Dwayne continued. “I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members.”

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on Sep 8, 2015 at 10:25pm PDT

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on Sep 7, 2015 at 3:35pm PDT

Although their time together was short, Johnson values the memories he created with his adorable puppy. Johnson publicly expressed his love and appreciation for Brutus. He wishes there was more he could have done, but Brutus' fate was ultimately out of his hands.  

“We’ll always love you Brutus.. and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute,” Dwayne concluded his note. “#RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime.”

See More Dwayne Johnson

Real Time Analytics