Cleopatra Records to release 'Rockin' Legends Pay Tribute to Jack White' featuring Wanda Jackson, Gary U.S. Bonds, Sonny Burgess and more
At 38 years old, Jack White has become somewhat of a guitar hero. Rolling Stone already named him in the list of "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time." His work with The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather and his own solo career have all seen great commercial success and have produced numerous hits.
White is a pioneer in modern music, and his studio, Third Man Records, is legendary itself. He has championed the preservation of vinyl in the modern age (becoming a Record Store Day Ambassador) and continues to put a premium on authenticity in age when computers can pretty much do anything.
So it's no surprise that Cleopatra Records has curated a 14-track tribute album in his honor, with featured guests that include many of the artists he has cited as influences to his music. Pretty meta, right?
Rockin' Legends Pay Tribute to Jack White is due out November 19. It includes covers of White's solo tracks as well as songs from The White Stripes and The Raconteurs performed by veterans such as Wanda Jackson, Gary U.S. Bonds, Sonny Burgess, Big Jau McNelly, Johnny Powers, Joe Clay, Rosie Flores, Bobby Vee, Shooter Jennings, Los Straitjackets and Cyril Neville.
Wanda Jackson, who has collaborated with White before and covers his song "Cold, Cold Night" on the tribute album, spoke with Rolling Stone about the 38-year-old guitar legend.
"Jack is such a talented songwriter, and a lot of his songs are done in a much different style than my own," Jackson told them. "But when I heard "Cold, Cold Night" for the first time I knew it was a song that I wanted to record some day. When the opportunity came around to pay tribute to Jack on this album I thought it was the perfect opportunity to lay it down in the studio. Shooter came in and played piano and later added all of the other instruments. I'm very pleased with how it turned out and I hope Jack approves of the job we did."
Check out the tracklist here and listen to Jackson cover "Cold, Cold Night" (via Rolling Stone). Let us know what you think in the comments section below!
Rockin' Legends Pay Tribute to Jack White Tracklist:
01. In The Cold, Cold Night – Wanda Jackson feat. Shooter Jennings
02. I’m Shakin’ – Big Jay McNeely & Nik Turner
03. Salute Your Solution – Gary U.S. Bonds
04. Steady As She Goes – Sonny Burgess & The Legendary Pacers
05. Trash Tongue Talker – Joe Clay & Cranston Clements
06. Another Way To Die – Robert Gordon & Chris Spedding
07. Seven Nation Army – Knox, Walter Lure & W.S. “Fluke” Holland
08. Fly Farm Blues – Johnny Powers
09. We’re Going To Be Friends – Bobby Vee
10. Blunderbuss – Rosie Flores
11. Fell In Love With A Girl – The Dirt Daubers
12. You Don’t Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You’re Told) – Rejected Youth Nation feat. Cyril Neville
13. Top Yourself – The Denver Broncos UK
14. Icky Thump – Los Straightjackets