Your house party playlist for Saturday night
Last week's partly playlist theme was "Remixes."
This weekend it's all about the (not-totally-crazy) House Party. The holidays are on the way and people are hosting more indoor gatherings with the colder weather outside and warmth in the air. (No, we're not talking "Baby It's Cold Outside"...yet. Don't tempt us with a holiday party playlist.)
The House Party playlist has pump-up songs and the "come-down" songs as you settle into the end of your evening. The importance here is the order of the songs on the playlist...
In the beginning when you're getting ready; in the middle when you're fully-immersed in the party; at the end when you're mellowing out (and don't want neighbors calling the cops with a noise complaint).
These are all from this millennium. Other decades would open it up too much! If you feel like the songs get too chill too early, think...this is a house party, not a dance party. You do need to be able to hear people. This is an incomplete list of random songs, so add your song(s) below.
- Body Language, "Well Absolutely," Grammar (2013)
This late-70s-turned-updated-electro is so full of energy it'll light your fire for the whole night.
- David Byrne & St. Vincent, "Weekend in the Dust," Love This Giant (2012)
Leave it to these two eccentric music masterminds to put you in an "anything goes" mindset that you need to have going into a crazy night.
- STRFKR, "While I'm Alive," Miracle Mile (2013)
This is the last trippy song before things get fun and normal again...Fittingly, this is about the time your buzz should start to set in.
- Brodka, "Varsovie," LAX (2012)
Wake up! Get going! This Polish singer is so entertaining live and her studio album captures this.
- Chiddy Bang, "Handclaps & Guitars," Breakfast (2012)
"I just came to party." Sums it up. And it's no secret Chiddy is pretty much the most feel-good "rap" around. "I'm super chill, but I think that's just the pot in me."
When things are picking up:
- Curren$y, "Lemon Kush"
For some reason this song is impossible to find. Any one with information behind this rare gem, definitely come forward.
- MIA, "Bad Girls," Matangi (2013)
- Kanye West, Jay Z, Big Sean, "Clique," Cruel Summer (2012)
- Busta Rhymes f/ Q-Tip, Kanye + Weezy "Thank You," Thank You
- Tiësto, Mark Alston, Baggi Begovic & Jason Taylor - "Love and Run" feat. Teddy Geiger
DJ God Tiësto collaborates with diverse musicians to make one of the popular songs off his new album. Bonus points, if you can ID the singer on this at 1:08. Starting at 2:08, fist pump, move your body, whatever -- no judgment.
- Lorde, "Love Club," The Love Club EP (2013)
"Love Club" needs more love. Take a break from "Royals" from Lorde's debut album Pure Heroine and listen to this standout track from her EP, released in March.
- Tegan and Sara, "Closer," Hearthrob (2012)
Ladies, this is your "It's Raining Men."
- Animal Collective, "My Girls," Merriweather Post Pavillion (2006)
One of the most guilty pleasure "indie" songs.
- Julian Casablancas, "11th Dimension," Phrazes for the Young (2009)
Indie pop/rock sets in when people are danced out.
- Tame Impala, "Feels Like We're Only Going Backwards," Lonerism (2012)
Things start getting blurry here.
Start putting the breaks on with:
- Danny Brown, "Lonely," Old (2013)
- Solange, "Losing You," Losing You (2012)
- Stars, "Hold On When You Get Love And Let Go When You Give It," The North (2012)
This will tell your friends to realize they better not stay in your house another hour:
- King Krule, "Portrait in Black & Blue," King Krule (2011)
- Sibeylle Baier, "Tonight," Colour Green (2006)
There's something sacred about ending the evening with soothing sounds.
Your turn! Add your piece to the comments.