Billboard Reveals 2015 Power 100 List: Top Music Industry Executives Ranked
Billboard has unveiled its Power 100 List, which ranks the top music industry executives in 2015. The list is stacked with members of the old guard from major labels, booking agencies and management companies who still have the most sway over the larger music landscape, but there is a nod to some heads of some of the larger "disruptor" companies or smaller, but still signifcant labels, agenies and managers.
The list is headed by Lucian Grainge, the Chairman and CEO of Universal, who is quoted saying "The industry broke 5 new artists in 2014, and we broke 4 of them," that is, Ariana Grande, Sam Smith, 5 Seconds of Summer and Iggy Azalea. Two executives at Apple make the top ten, as well as two head executives at Sony.
Daniel Ek, co-founder and CEO of Spotify comes in at 20, though that number will only be rising in the coming years at the most powerful streaming company in the world continues to sign new integration deals and grow its subscriber base.
Other independent notables include Roc Nation CEO Jay Brown who has helped oversee its move beyond the music space, Scooter Braun (#41) the head of SB Projects and noted manager of Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande, Insomniac Events' Pasquale Rotella (#59) and others.
See the top 10 below and check out the full 100 on Billboard.
01. Lucian Grainge (Chairman/CEO, Universal Music Group)
02. Michael Rapino (President/CEO, Live Nation Entertainment)
03. Irving Azoff (Chairman/CEO, Azoff MSG Entertainment)
04. Martin Bandier (Chairman/CEO, Sony/ATV Music Publishing)
05. Jimmy Iovine (Executive, Apple)
06. Coran Capshaw (Founder/owner, Red Light Management)
07. Doug Morris (CEO, Sony Music Entertainment)
08. Bob Pittman (Chairman/CEO, iHeartMedia)
09. Rob Light (Partner and managing director/head of music, Creative Artists Agency)
10. Eddy Cue (Senior VP, Internet software and services, Apple)
10. Robert Kondrk (VP, iTunes content)