Flo Rida Pulls Out of Miss USA Pageant Following Donald Trump’s Racist Remarks
Following Donald Trump's racist remarks, Flo Rida has decided to pull out of the Miss USA pageant.
As noted by the Associated Press, the "GDFR" rapper had been the highest-profile performer scheduled for Miss USA in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. On Wednesday (July 1), his rep confirmed that he would not perform.
Country singer, Craig Wayne Boyd, winner of The Voice last year, and pop singer, Natalie La Rose, have also backed out of their performances. No more performers have been announced.
NBC Universal decided to cut ties with Trump as well. The network previously entered into a joint venture with Trump for the annual Miss USA and Miss Universe Pageants. Univision was the first to sever ties with the GOP candidate. The USA Pageant will now air on the cable network, Reelz.
"The decision on the part of Reelz to acquire the rights to the Miss USA Pageant was based on our belief that this special event, and the women who compete in it, are an integral part of American tradition," Reelz CEO Stan E. Hubbard said in a statement. "As one of only a few independent networks, we decided to exercise our own voice and committed ourselves to bringing this pageant to American viewers everywhere."
Trump announced his candidacy for president on June 16 and made offensive comments regarding Mexican immigrants in the U.S.
"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best; they're not sending you," Trump said in his announcement speech. "They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
Any thoughts? Sound off in the comment section below.