Yo La Tengo, one of America's most seminal and longest lasting rock groups ever, is back again with a new album of covers titled Stuff Like That There featuring covers of iconic groups such as The Cure, Hank Williams and The Parliaments. The album is available today on NPR First Listen ahead of its official release set to drop Aug. 28.
Stuff Like That There is the chronological follow-up to 2013's highly acclaimed Fade; however, it's more of a spiritual successor to the group's 1990 album Fakebook, in which the group published another collection of covers. Back then they covered acts from Cat Stevens to John Cale, now in 2015 they're working with a new roster of artists.
The album is stitched together with two brand new Yo La Tengo songs, three reimagined songs from the band's vast catalog and nine covers of artists the band genuinely loves.
"Friday I'm In Love" written and performed by The Cure might be the most recognizable tune the band tackles. It takes the peppy pop tune and turns it into a rootsy, solemn song that flips it into a rather sad tune. Back in July, the band released a hilarious music video in which heartbreak literally descends down on the world to bring about the apocalypse.
The band also tackles "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" by Hank Williams, "I Can Feel The Ice Melting" by The Parliaments and "Butchie's Tune" by The Lovin' Spoonful. See the full album track list below via Consequence Of Sound.
Stuff Like That There is certainly a Yo La Tengo album for longtime fans, and if you're new to the band this might not give you the full view of how hard and soft this band can get. For that, you'll want to go to one of the live shows, which are some of the best in all of music, or go back and delve into their 30-year catalog of music. You won't be disappointed.
Stuff Like That There track list:
01. My Heart's Not in It (Darlene McCrea cover)
03. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Hank Williams cover)
04. All Your Secrets (remake of track from Popular Songs)
05. The Ballad of Red Buckets (remake of track from Electr-o-pura)
06. Friday I'm in Love (The Cure cover)
07. Before We Stopped to Think (Great Plains cover)
08. Butchie's Tune (The Lovin' Spoonful cover)
09. Automatic Doom (Special Pillow cover)
11. I Can Feel the Ice Melting (The Parliaments cover)
12. Naples (Antietam)
13. Deeper Into Movies (remake of track from I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One)
14. Somebody's in Love (The Cosmic Rays with Le Sun Ra and Arkestra cover)