Drugs That Killed Prince were Mislabeled as Weaker Type of Opioid
According to a new development in the investigation into Prince's death, the drugs found inside the artist's home were labelled incorrectly. Investigators revealed that the drugs that killed the "Purple Rain" singer, which were labelled as hydrocodone, actually contained a powerful opioid known as fentanyl.
In June, two months after the death of Prince, an autopsy report confirmed that the singer suffered from a fatal overdose of fentanyl. The report, however, did not indicate how he managed to get his hands on the drug since they could not find a prescription for it inside his home, according to the Star Tribune.
During a recent investigation, it was revealed that the pills Prince took were labeled as hydrocodone. Upon analyzing the drug, the investigators learned that it actually contained fentanyl, which is known to be 100 times more powerful than morphine.
As noted by CNN, this new revelation could explain the events that led to Prince's death. One possible scenario is that the pharmaceutical company that manufactured the hydrocodone pills made a serious error in labelling the drugs. In other words, Prince's may have mistakenly purchased fentanyl pills through a prescription for hydrocodone.
Another theory suggests that the pills were intentionally mislabeled in order to be made and sold illegally in the country.
If the first scenario turns out to be true, then the manufacturer should immediately issue a major recall to prevent accidental deaths due to fentanyl overdose. As for the second theory, investigators still believe that Prince did not know that the drugs he was taking before his death contained fentanyl. Because of this, they are still trying to figure out how he was able to acquire it.