February 20, 2018 / 12:22 AM

Stay Connected

SAG Awards 2018: Alison Brie Responds To Sexual Claims Against Brother-In-Law James Franco

 

Close
'It's hard to be a man these days,' says Wiliam H Macy at SAG Awards

Alison Brie safely evaded a question about the sexual misconduct allegations against her brother-in-law James Franco during a red carpet interview at the 2018 SAG Awards on Sunday.

Giuliana Rancic welcomed the actress on the red carpet and briefly brought up Brie's support for the Times Up movement, which helps raise funds to provide legal aid for the victims of sexual harassment and abuse. The talk show host transitioned into the recent allegations of sexual misconduct against her brother-in-law, and the actress awkwardly attempted to dodge the question.

"As you know your family and your brother-in-law has been in the news recently. What are your thoughts on that and what can you share with us in terms of how that's affecting you and your family?" Rancic asked Brie, who was among the first to arrive at the SAG Awards.

"I think that above all, what we've always said is that it remains vital that anyone who feels victimized should and, you know, does have the right to speak out and come forward," Brie replied.

The 35-year-old Glow actress defended her brother-in-law and suggested that people should not judge James quickly since details about the allegations are not precise. Brie, who is married to Franco's brother Dave, expressed her support for her family.

"I obviously support my family, and not everything that's been reported is fully accurate, so I think waiting to get all the information, uhm...," Brie hesitates before closing her reply with a statement that maintains her support for the Times Up movement.

"But of course, now is the time for listening, and that's what we're all trying to do," she added.

Brie echoed Franco's attorney, Michael Plonsker, in his statement that the details surrounding the sexual misconduct allegations against his client are inaccurate.

Earlier this month, Franco was the subject of a report on the Los Angeles Times in which five women recalled their experience of sexual misconduct with the actor. Four of the alleged victims were former students at his film school Studio 4.

Sarah Tither-Kaplan said the actor removed the protective plastic guards covering the actresses' privates during an orgy scene, to which Plonsker said the allegations are not accurate. The other two women claimed The Disaster Artist star got mad when they refused to go topless in a scene. Violet Paley, a former love interest, said Franco forced her to perform oral sex on him, to which Plonsker said Paley's allegations are "not accurate."

As for Franco, he opened up about the sexual misconduct allegations against him during a guest appearance on Late Night with Seth Meyers. He revealed that the details are not accurate and that he too has his own side of the story to tell.

Real Time Analytics