Soulwax are back with the first new album from the Belgian group in nearly a decade. As one might expect, their new project is a big different from the traditional album. They created a soundtrack for the Belgian film Belgica. Instead of just scoring a traditional film soundtrack as Soulwax, the group decided to take on the persona of 16 different fake bands and write songs for each of them. Those songs were then recorded and used in the film.
The soundtracks range from funky tracks that would fit in a 1970s disco, to songs that might work in a darker, club setting and others that are straight away rock tunes. As a group who has had a chameleon-like ability to create different types of music as Soulwax, Radio Soulwax and 2manydjs over their career, this shouldn't be surprising. They all fit with the different situations found in the music-oriented film.
Fans can stream the soundtrack below and pick up a digital or physical copy here via Play It Again Sam (PIAS). The film will hit theaters on March 2.
1. Charlotte - The Best Thing
2. The Shitz - How Long
3. Rubber Band - Caoutchouc
4. White Virgins - Turn Off The Lights
5. Light Bulb Matrix - Hot December
6. Kursat 9000 - Çölde Kutup Ayisi
7. Erasmus - Ti Ricordi Di Me
8. Burning Phlegm - Nothing
9. Aquazul - Slippy Fingers
10. Roland McBeth - Don't wait Up For Me
11. Diploma - Got Any Chris Rea?
12. They Live - The Cookie Crumbles
13. Danyel Galaxy - Cybernetic Permutations In The Key Of A
14. The Shitz - Sell It With Your Face
15. Robert Vanderwiel - Nine Thousand Eyes
16. Noah's Dark - Inward