Car Seat Headrest may have over a dozen albums in its repertoire in just six short years, but Will Toledo is getting no less prolific, even if his band does now have an official label. On Thursday (March 24), Matador Records announced Car Seat Headrest's 13th album and first release recorded in a studio, Teens of Denial.
Due for release on May 20, Teens of Denial is being led by singles "Vincent" and "Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales," the latter of which was released today. "Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales" continues the precedent set by "Vincent" of taking Car Seat Headrest's chaotic live sound and dissonant bedroom albums and polishing it up.
The result is a crunchy piece of pure indie rock that takes on Toledo's own habit of driving home drunk in college and expanding that thought into taking action in life.
"It's not just about the drinking and driving. It's about becoming professional at what you do in life. Rather than engaging moment for moment, you're treating life like it's something that you already know how to do, when in reality, no one knows how to live their life," Toldeo told Genius.
Car Seat Headrest Teens of Denial Tracklist:
01. Fill In The Blank
03. Destroyed By Hippie Powers
04. (Joe Gets Kicked Out of School for Using) Drugs With Friends (But Says This Isn't a Problem)
05. Just What I Needed/Not Just What I Needed
06. Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales
07. 1937 State Park
08. Unforgiving Girl (She's Not An)
09. Cosmic Hero
10. The Ballad of the Costa Concordia
11. Connect the Dots (The Saga of Frank Sinatra)
12. Joe Goes to School