Now that Frank Ocean has finally released not one, but two albums in the past week, fans can focus their attention on other artists who are overdue to release a new album. Some are preparing to drop one soon and others are potentially still a long ways away from releasing new music. Either way, new music from the likes of Daft Punk, Childish Gambino, Katy Perry, A Tribe Called Quest, The Gorillaz and others would make the music world a better place.
1. Katy Perry - It has been three years since Katy Perry released her last album Prism and fans are starting to get antsy for her next LP. She released her new uplifting single "Rise" in July that was picked by NBC and used for their Olympics coverage. She is still writing music, which she admits takes time because it is based on life experiences. There are several unreleased songs registered on ASCAP, but there is no timeline as to when Perry will dominate the radio again.
2. Childish Gambino - In between all of the various projects Donald Glover has going on, it is remarkable he still has time to dust off Childish Gambino and record music. He performed a new song at Bonnaroo last summer and pictures were posted online of him in a studio with a choir. He was quiet until this summer when he announced the mysterious PHAROS album project. Since then he has revealed that it will be a three-day camping trip at Joshua Tree where he will perform new music live. There aren't any other details about an official studio release, but this is a good start. With a Childish Gambino moniker retirement looming, fans will need all of the new music they can get.
3. A Tribe Called Quest - This wouldn't even be included in the list if L.A. Reid hadn't said earlier this week that the group had recorded music before Phife Dawg's death in March. The group originally stated that their 1998 album The Love Movement would be their last, but it appears as though they have another on the way. It would logically be their last with Phife's passing, but 18 years later the world is excited to see what the group has ready to go.
4. Gorillaz - Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett announced late last year that they were making new music and planned on releasing it in 2016. They have been teasing the project on social media occasionally and it was revealed that they had been working with Snoop Dogg and De La Soul on the new record. No word on when the LP may drop, the first since 2011's The Fall, but fans can get excited for a follow-up to "Feel Good Inc."
5. The xx - The producing arm of The xx, Jamie xx has been riding the tidal waves of success from his critically acclaimed 2015 album In Colour, but that has not stopped the group from recording their next album. They have released occasional updates on the progress of the next LP. They have not released an album since 2012's Coexist and it is about getting to that time when they are due for another.
6. Nas - The Mass Appeal don has expanded his pallet to working on show scores, but he is still hard at work on a new album. It became obvious things were about ready to go when he was featured on DJ Khaled's Major Key album with the song "Nas Album Done." The album is confirmed to be finished and would be his first since 2012's Life Is Good. It may not come out for a little while as they get their plan together, but a new Nas album is coming. Major key.
7. Lady Gaga - Gaga's career started out with arguably one of the most dominant spells in pop history that anything since was likely to be a failure by those standards. After her 2013 album Artpop did not live up to expectations for many, she then embarked on a path to rediscover more of her more classical roots with Tony Bennett and others. Now she is gearing up for a more club and dancey album that should arrive soon. She has been sharing studio picks with various hit-making songwriters and producers including RedOne. Her new song "Perfect Illusion" will be released in September and could be a taste of what is to come for the album.
8. Daft Punk - The French robots are notoriously secretive when it comes to their recording and are quiet in between albums. They have not gone on tour since 2006, so there is no chance for them to preview music or interact with fans in a live setting. They released their last album Random Access Memories in 2013, cleaning up at the 2014 Grammy Awards. There weren't any indicators that they are working on music until recently when it was revealed that they had planned a studio session with The Weeknd. It isn't known it anything came from it, but it is exciting to know they are working on new music. Might an album be on the way? We hope so.
9. Justin Timberlake - Justin Timberlake has been busy this year working on the soundtrack for the animated film Trolls, which he stars in as a voice. The OST netted the No. 1 single "Can't Stop The Feeling." While promoting the film, he revealed that he was working on a new album. No timeline was given for it, but a follow-up to the 20/20 Experience is on the way.