Lauryn Hill recently shared a snippet of "I've Got Life," a cover of Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No, I Got Life." The full version will be featured on a tribute album in honor of the late singer.
On the snippet of the revamped version, Hill touches on women's suffrage and race relations in the U.S.
"Invisible ink in the Constitution, meant to preserve the institution/Uneven distribution of wealth, goods and services."
In a statement, Hill talked about her decision to work on the album, saying, "Because I fed on this music, both hers and lovers like her, like my basic food, I believed I always had a right to have a voice. Her example is clearly a form of sustenance to a generation needing to find theirs. What a gift."
Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone will be released in its entirety on July 10. The tribute album will also feature the likes of Jazmine Sullivan, Usher and Mary J. Blige, among others. An accompanying documentary premieres on Netflix June 26 and is titled, What Happened, Miss Simone?
Check out the tracklisting for Nina Revisited below:
01. Lisa Simone - "Nobody's Fault but Mine (Intro)"
02. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Feeling Good"
03. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "I've Got Life" - Ms. Lauryn Hill
04. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Ne Me Quitte Pas" - Ms. Lauryn Hill
05. Jazmine Sullivan "Baltimore"
06. Grace - "Love Me or Leave Me"
07. Usher - "My Baby Just Cares For Me"
08. Mary J. Blige - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"
09. Gregory Porter - "Sinnerman"
10. Common & Lalah Hathaway - "YG&B"
11. Alice Smith - "I Put A Spell On You"
12. Lisa Simone - "I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl"
13. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair"
14. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Wild Is The Wind"
15. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "African Mailman"
16. Nina Simone - "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free"