Amy Winehouse's unreleased song "My Own Way" surfaces online. The late singer recorded the track when she was just 17 years old.
Gil Cang, a composer, and musician from London co-wrote the song with James McMillan and uploaded the track on YouTube. In an interview, Cang said that they recorded "My Own Way" before Amy signed with Island Records in 2003.
"We'd been writing quite a lot of pop tunes, doing a lot of pop promos with various artists who would come in, many of various, dubious talent. It was at a particularly dire time in the pop world - lots of terrible, terrible girl bands and boy bands and we had to make something for them. Amy came in to see us, opened her mouth and just blew us all away," said Cang.
The composer also said that he only saw the recording last week and completely forgot that he had a copy of the song. He decided to upload it so that fans of Amy could hear her voice.
Following her death, reports indicated that all of the singer's demos were destroyed so that none of them will be released.
David Joseph, the CEO of Universal in the United Kingdom, explained in 2015 why they decided to destroy all of Amy's recordings. He said that it is the moral thing to do.
"Taking a stem or a vocal is not something that would ever happen on my watch. It now can't happen on anyone else's," said Joseph.
Who Is Amy Winehouse?
Amy was an English singer and songwriter known for her deep and expressive vocals. In 2003, she released her debut album, Frank. Three years later, she dropped Back to Black.
Some of her most famous songs include "Valerie," "Tears Dry On Their Own," "You Know I'm No Good," "Love Is a Losing Game," "Stronger Than Me," "Rehab," "Wake Up Alone," "Me & Mr Jones," "In My Bed," and "Just Friends."
Amy Winehouse's Cause Of Death
The award-winning singer passed away on July 23, 2011, and toxicology reports confirmed that Amy died from alcohol intoxication. She was 27 years old at the time. Two years later, Amy's dad Mitch Winehouse wrote the book Amy, My Daughter, where he discussed her daughter's death.
He said that his daughter had not taken drugs in three years, and she did not also take her own life. However, he stressed that his daughter drank too much alcohol days before her demise.
"And this time unfortunately, there was nobody there to take her to the hospital when she passed out. Security were there, but they thought she was asleep, and this dreadful accident happened," said Mitch.