December 13, 2018 / 9:03 PM

Stay Connected

Cory Monteith’s Mom Reveals Son Was On Pain Meds Before Overdose Death

 

Close

Cory Monteith's mom, Ann McGregor, has finally spoken about the rising star's tragic death in his native of Canada in 2013.

In a new interview, the 67-year-old sat down with People to recount the day she found out that her actor-singer son was found dead inside a hotel room. This is her first interview in five years.

Leah Michelle Broke The News

During the conversation, McGregor revealed that Leah Michelle, Monteith's co-star, and girlfriend, was the one who first revealed to her the news of her son's death. On that tragic day, she received a call from the Glee actress asking if the reports were true.

"I got a call from Lea and she was screaming on the phone," the mom said. "She was yelling, 'Is it true, is it true about Cory?' and I said, 'What about Cory?' I had heard nothing. And then police knocked on my front door."

McGregor also shared that she was devastated and felt "numbness" after she had been told of her son's passing.

Ann McGregor Opens Up About Cory Monteith's Drug Addiction

The single mom has also spoken about her son's history with drugs. She said that because the actor skipped two grades in school, he always associated himself with older kids.

By the time he was in his teens, Monteith began drinking and smoking. He was checked into rehab when he was 15.

The late television star eventually did get sober and for a long time, did not go anywhere near drugs. However, the lifestyle of the rich and famous proved to be too much for him and he broke. Months before he died, Monteith had been back to using drugs.

By April 2013, McGregor said that her son was back to rehab and was really hoping to be sober again. However, a dental work, which required him to take painkillers must have affected his journey to getting clean.

"He had a lot of medication in his system, which was not good for his body coming out of rehab," she argued.

Monteith, famous for playing the role of Finn Hudson on Glee, was found dead in a hotel room in downtown Vancouver. Officers who responded to the scene found reported seeing drug paraphernalia, including a spoon and a hypodermic needle.

The Coroners Service of British Columbia reported that the actor's body had traces of morphine, codeine, and heroin. He also had been drinking prior to his accidental death.

Experts at the time stated that Monteith, who was only 31 when he passed away, was at a higher risk of overdose because of his stint in rehab. After going through detox, his body was no longer tolerant to higher doses of drugs.

See Now: Ariana Grande 'No Tears Left To Cry': Full Lyrics And Music Video

© 2018 Music Times, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.

Real Time Analytics