Cameron Crowe's 23 Favorite Albums Revealed by Wikileaks: Beatles, Nirvana and Radiohead Included
The Sony hacks revealed many salacious e-mails and details about celebrities in the film and music world, however one bit of information is just as enticing without damaging anyone's reputation: an e-mail where director Cameron Crowe lists his 23 favorite albums of all time, including bits from The Rolling Stones, Nirvana and Radiohead.
Everyone knows that the director has a soft spot for rock 'n' roll: Almost Famous was a very loose interpretation of his time interning for Rolling Stone, while Singles mirrored the rise of the grunge movement. If anyone in the film world is able to give us an interesting list of must-listens, it might be Crowe. The odd rankings come from an e-mail to Sony Pictures chair Amy Pascal, although there's no context as to why she asked.
Those expecting new revelations will be disappointed however, as Crowe takes a fairly vanilla approach: There are no repeat bands, and most of his selections are already accepted as classics. As Billboard notes, he doesn't choose any albums post-Radiohead's OK Computer (1997).
If you want to take some scandal from this list, you can argue that he might be in trouble with his ex-wife Nancy Wilson, as he didn't choose any albums from her band Heart. Perhaps this is at the root of their split?
Probably not, no.
Anyway here's his choices from no. 23 to no. 1:
23) Back in Black by AC/DC
22) Madman Across The Water by Elton John
21) Rumors by Fleetwood Mac
20) Innervisions by Stevie Wonder
19) Are You Experienced? by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
18) Gonna Take A Miracle by Laura Nyro
17) Live At Fillmore East by The Allman Brothers
16) Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie
15) OK Computer by Radiohead
14) Off The Wall by Michael Jackson
13) Nevermind by Nirvana
12) Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
11) Exile on Main Street by The Rolling Stones
10) Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd
09) Quadrophenia by The Who
08) Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin
07) Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis
06) The White Album by The Beatles
05) After The Gold Rush by Neil Young
04) Blue by Joni Mitchell
03) Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys
02) Blood on The Tracks by Bob Dylan
01) What's Going On by Marvin Gaye