In the wake of Christina Grimmie’s death, the music industry has been taking note of concert security and the ways in which it can be improved to prevent further tragedies. Nick Jonas is one of the celebrities speaking out on these topics in a new radio interview this past Tuesday (June 14), and it’s an issue that brings up the question of performers feeling safe after such a brutal murder by a deranged fan.

“I was talking to my manager about it the other day,” Jonas said on the KTU Morning Show. “Just something that should be looked at across the country and across the world. I think it’s obviously very poignant.”

He further said, “I don’t know if I can comment for the whole situation of what needs to be changed to fix the situation, but my heart goes out to Christina’s family. It’s just so heartbreaking. She introduced me at the iHeartRadio festival this last year, and I had a chance to talk with her backstage and meet her for a minute, and she was so sweet and just kind of a light, a real positive energy.”

Christina Grimmie’s death rocked the industry and in a police report issued it was revealed that the young singer was specifically targeted by the shooter, reported to be 27-year-old Kevin James Loibl. The report also revealed that Loibl had a hunting knife, two loaded magazines and two handguns on his person when he approached Grimmie as she was signing autographs.

Police chief John Mina additionally confirmed that the security guards at The Plaza, where Grimmie had performed that night, were unharmed but did check bags. What security did not do was pat-downs and there were no metal detectors, which might have prevented the tragedy.

Join the Discussion