10 Things to Know About BTS, the Kpop Sensation Who Won Billboard Top Social Artist
Kpop boy group BTS proudly took home the win for Top Social Artist during the 2017 Billboard Music Awards show. They are the first Kpop group to have won a Billboard music award since its first inception in 1990 and it has attracted much attention over the web.
The seven member boy band won with over 300 million votes, beating out Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Shawn Mendez and Ariana Grande thanks to their massive, passionate and dedicated international fanbase.
Who are these singers who have stolen the hearts of millions of fans around the world? Here are some fun facts about BTS.
1. BTS is a seven member group that debuted in 2013 under BigHit Entertainment in Korea.
2. BTS is short for Bangtan Boys. When asked what the meaning behind their group name on a Korean show, "Yaman TV", member JHope responded, "The meaning of 'bangtan' is to guard against something. So [our name] means that we will boldly defend our music and our value/worth.
3. According to the Big Hit Entertainment's CEO Bang Shi Hyuk, he wanted to form a hip hop group after seeing Rap Monster rap. He was so impressed by his talent and formed BTS with Rap Monster as the leader.
4. BTS is arguably the top boy group in South Korea at the moment. Their album Wings was the best-selling album of 2016 in South Korea selling over 500,000 copies in pre-orders alone.
5. BTS has a large overseas fanbase outside of Korea. You'll find that all materials related to BTS will be translated to English and other languages for their non-Korean fans.
6. From oldest to youngest, their names are Jin (December 2, 1992), Suga (March 9, 1993), J-Hope (February 18, 1994), Rap Monster (September 12, 1994), Jimin (October 13, 1995), V (December 30, 1995), and Jungkook (September 1, 1997).
7. Rap Monster is the only member who can speak and understand English well.
8. Rap Monster speaks english during the Billboard Top Social Artist award acceptance speech:
9. All the members are amazingly synchronized dancers. Here are some dance practice videos that showcase their talents.
10. BTS is very active on social media and regularly connects with their fans. New fans can learn more about their lives and personalities behind the music by watching their Bangtan Bombs videos on their official youtube channel and interact with them live via their Vlive.tv channel live broadcasts. Group activities updates can be found on their Twitter account.
The members are not afraid to be goofy in front of their fans and break their "idol image". On stage, their persona can be masculine and strong, however in real life they can act cute by showing "aeygo" and even dance their hearts out to girl group songs.
The boys throwing hearts at their fans:
The boys being goofy behind the scenes:
- Jung kook's cover of We Don't Talk Anymore even caught the attention of the original artist, Charlie Puth. Puth even started following BTS on Twitter when he discovered their music after fans flooded Puth's social media accounts upon hearing JungKook's cover.
V deep vocals sound great in his cover of Adele's "Someone Like You"
Rap Monster and Jung Kook cover "Fools" by Troye Sivan
Jung Kook covers Justin Bieber's "Nothing Like Us"